the questions, observations, laments, psalms, classic anecdotes, prayers, & stories of jeremiah aja. enjoy it like a sweaty plastic cup filled with strawberry lemonade & crushed ice.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

defying logic

I was talking to a friend while walking our beloved Jax a few nights ago. His words are still swirling around my thoughts like the cake mixers in a glass mixing bowl. We were talking about something he was about to undertake, a major project - one of those when you get done, you can cross it off of your "things I am going to do before i die" kinda list. He says to me...
"I just feel like it's something I need to do."

It's still with me. Like velcro.


I think it captures exactly the way I feel about a many things that have moved from my "dreams" list to my "no seriously, I am going to make this happen before I die" list. I just have to do this. Sometimes you don't need a reason to do something significant. Sometimes it doesnt have to all add up nicely and make sense, or even worse, cents. I think Solomon, if he had more time, may have said something like, "There is a season for defying logic." Sometimes all you need is a foolish and profound need for something to happen. In those times, reasoning just might squlech the flames.

Reflecting back after being at Asbury for two years, just beginning our third year here, I realize there was something in me that just had to come out here. It didn't make much sense. Then, it got even more ridiculous when Lindsay felt it too. We had to sell our home, drive 2,398 miles with a 6 month old puppy in the front of our Penske, leave our family and some of the best people we know, and experience winter like never, ever before. It didn't all add up. It was borderline absurd, right?

Verdict - Life is best lived in the absurd.

Absurd is selling all you have to buy a field that had a treasure in it...now if you could only find it again. Absurd is emptying your bank account to buy a pearl...just one pearl, not a strand. Absurd is a king dying for the citizens of His kingdom. Absurd is how cute my Annabella is. Absurd is loving your enemies. Absurd is how much fun Christmas will be this year. Absurd is how much I hope these words also ignite something in you to jump into the illogical.

From Wilmore, with Love.

5 comments:

KellyLawson22 said...

Fantastic post, friend.

jason said...

It's a battle cry. nice

The LeRoys said...

yep.

Anonymous said...

mmmm... cake.....
lj

Eric said...

I'm in!