the questions, observations, laments, psalms, classic anecdotes, prayers, & stories of jeremiah aja. enjoy it like a sweaty plastic cup filled with strawberry lemonade & crushed ice.

Friday, August 01, 2008

healthy dissatisfaction

97% of the time after any kind of project, event, performance, or anything involving planning and execution, especially if dealing with the church, I walk away and have this kind of conversation in my head:
“That was pretty good. ____ was done well.
BUT
______ wasnt done all that well.
______ wasnt what we had thought it may turn out like.
______ is how we could have done much, much better.

Years ago, I thought this was a bad trait. I had misunderstood it as being “impossible to please”, pessimistic, over-critical. But over time, I have seen that it is merely my desire to create or belong to something that is as incredible as it is in my thoughts of what it could be. Sometimes, this gap is HUGE. Sometimes, it is small. But the gap still gnaws at me most of the time. I’ve been on a journey to keep this healthy though - a “healthy” dissatisfaction. Ira Glass, host of the radio show “This American Life” paints this beautifully in this vid clip on storytelling and gave me a much better way to explain this...to myself, and to others. Enjoy.

A 10-gallon hat tip to Chad Brooks, one of my blogging senseis (that looks strange plural), for the video link and the convo that followed in our meeting later that day.




From Wilmore, with Love.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Great thoughts and great video. Thanks for sharing that. I feel that same dissatisfaction on a regular basis and you're right, trying to keep it healthy is the key.

Jerolyn Bogear said...

Jeremiah. Thanks for your thoughts and the video. Very encouraging. I'm going to be 45 this month, and in one area of my life I feel I have finally become very good. All the other areas, though, I still am not where my vision reaches. I hope that doesn't discourage you, but be encouraged that the journey is just as important as the results. God uses both for His glory.

...Kevin said...

what an awesome video. It's great.