the questions, observations, laments, psalms, classic anecdotes, prayers, & stories of jeremiah aja. enjoy it like a sweaty plastic cup filled with strawberry lemonade & crushed ice.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

a new song

Tonight some friends prayed for me and Lindsay. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced before. We were in their living room, correction, we were in their sanctuary, and they absolutely moved the heavens with their words. With their words, they took the clouds by two hands and shook them violently. The rains that fell carried hope with them.
There were no candles, no hymnals, or even Precious Moments dolls. It was nothing spiritually eloquent or over the top with Christianese syntax. They were speaking with Someone who deserved much more than clich├ęs and contrived rhetoric. They were talking with Someone who was right there with us in that sanctuary, the very One that calls Himself, “God with us” – Emmanuel.

Another friend told me today that some of the best times in our lives are the unplanned ones. This was proof within six hours. The best times of our lives are not on the planned vacations, date nights, Easter Sundays, or even, dare I say it, graduation days. I wasn’t even over there to pray. I was there to use their computer of all things. I’m learning that it is within the mundane that we can find the amazing. I think that is what God has done with everyone of us. It is what happened tonight.

Something to know about me these past few days is this – I am trying to become overwhelmed with the right things - grace, joy, laughter, french kisses, bear hugs, and not due dates, late fees, grades, rent, and deadlines. With so many adjustments to make with classes in session and Lindsay being back in the job hunt, we have been overwhelmed with worry, doubt, and fear. After my business with the computer was done, my face showed it all.

I will not exaggerate these words for creative effect or downplay them for modesty sake, I promise. Here is what was poured out for us tonight. Unfortunately, Lindsay was at home and was not apart of it. But, as soon as I left our friends’ house, I changed my library study plans and went home to tell her all about it. We cried, just as I will probably cry recounting it again. This is how it began as they were praying for me specifically. Another Psalm was written tonight friends...

“Father, we ask tonight that you would hold your little boy close.
He is so burdened.
He is weary and slumped over.
Would you put your hand on his back and straighten it for him?
Would you allow him to feel your warm hand on his shoulders?
Father, take your hand and lift his chin up from his chest.
And open his eyes so that he can see You,
So that he can see You call him Your Beloved.
Place a new song in his heart
A song of hope
And may hope fill every corner of their home…”
Selah


Friends, we are singing.
Our new melody is our thanks to you this night.
From Wilmore, with Love.

8 comments:

Your Teammate said...

Beautiful moment, beautifully written!

Eric said...

Thanks for sharing this.

jason said...

wow

Michael said...

Wow! That's awesome bro. God bless you and Lindsay. It's so amazing to hear how he keeps moving in your lives to meet you. Thanks for sharing.

Also, the theme of last week's Pipeline, no joking, word for word quote, "God moves in the mundane."

Miss you two.

The J's Simmons said...

That'll bring a blog back to life :) Seriously man, thanks for sharing this awesome glimpse of God's faithfulness!

Liz Rice said...

Thank your friends, Jeremiah, for reminding me (us, anyone who reads that "psalm") that we are, indeed, "little boys" and "little girls"....little children!!! of a Father who's love knows NO end (as, sometimes, our earthly father's do).

So, of course He'll hold us/hug us CLOSE, when we gather (w/friends, or w/out) and ask.

Just reading that "psalm", I KNEW I myself was being held close, by my Abba Daddy, and I too, needed just that!

thank you for sharing.

LR

Jeremiah said...

LIZ!
thanks so much for stopping by and for your encouraging words!
we miss you!

Laurie J. said...

Thank you for posting this amazing snapshot from your life, J. I was humbled to think of how many opportunities I have probably missed to really bless someone by praying on the spot instead of saying (albeit sincerely) "I'll be praying for you!" on their way out the door.

And, dude, thanks for finally writing something! I've checked the site SINCE JULY to no avail - then today, a Gold Mine of bloggery! Yea!!!

Love you guys!
lj