the questions, observations, laments, psalms, classic anecdotes, prayers, & stories of jeremiah aja. enjoy it like a sweaty plastic cup filled with strawberry lemonade & crushed ice.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Is this post-finals Jeremiah?

*Title for this post comes from the words of Sarah Jackson, my awesome boss and friend*

I’m done.
With every bit of it.
Man, it feels awesome.

The first thing I did was went into the kitchen and bear hugged Lindsay, “We did it Love!” There’s nothing like a finish line bear hug…strikingly similar in form to the airport arrival bear hug, ya know?

The last paper was turned in last night at 740…20 mins before the Office Season Finale (LAME haircut Jim, gimme a break. Way to finally realize Pam is awesome). Lindsay had a wonderful dinner waiting for me at the finish line - bowl of Italian herb chicken and pasta with some kind of incredible bread and a marshmallow, hot fudge, graham cracker, waffle bowl sundae – whew!

Let’s make a quick, but huge, connection here – will ANY of this be ANY different at the end of our lives as followers of Jesus? - a huge bear hug to welcome you, words of affirmation, a place to sit at the Table, a celebratory Feast, joy, laughter – this could not be a better picture of heaven. The best part is, there have been times in my life, especially in the last year here in Wilmore, that I have been able to experience heaven here on earth.
What an amazing life.

So in the event that you did not know, I am without a doubt one of the most indecisive people I know…I think. Well, maybe. Wait, I’m not I don’t think…hmmm. – See what I mean? (cheesy but effective) But here’s the question that has been forced down my throat the past 3 months from about 8 different people – Should I get tangled up in the world of Facebook? Pros, cons? Time waster? Greatest thing since the internet?
I need some feedback.
Please comment, be my wise counsel on this one.
From Wilmore, with Love.

10 comments:

chad said...

the amount of anticipation that I had leading up to the end...and it's about Facebook.

I say go for it, for multiple reasons, but we have had the conversation before. Heck I have way to much fun with it.

I wouldn't worry about it wasting to much time. The people that said/do that are the ones that are usually still in undergrad and the facebook thing has been pretty entrenched in that culture for years.

Brooke said...

Hmmm... thank you for seeking out my wise counsel on this one.

I don't have a facebook acct (I was always under the impression they were for "college students' and I'm not sure AR ever qualified!).

However, I am fan of Jeremiah being networked and I would even consider getting a facebook myself if you did!

KellyLawson22 said...

Um, okay, I'd like to get a bear hug from Jesus. I like bear hugs and I like Jesus. Let's put those two together.

As for Facebook, of course I think you should get one. How many invitations have I sent you? 17? No, just 2. BUT... it's up to YOU how much time you spend/waste on it. So if you think it would keep you from the important stuff, then I'd say no. For me, it hasn't been a huge time-waster and has actually allowed me to reconnect with some fun folks. But it also makes the temptation greater to have "virtual" friendships with some of those people than real ones. Real ones are much better, you know and I'm aware of that which is why I don't think I've actually fallen to that temptation.

So... I don't know if my input has helped, but I will say it's only a time waster if you make it one.

- KL

P.S. I'm very happy about Jim and Pam. I am still thinking about them this morning. How sad is that? They're not real people... are they?

kevin barnes said...

You know my answer.

It's fun. It's a great way to keep in touch with the kids from your home church. But it's also a great way to waste time if you're not careful.

If you get an account, the Nun Energicum facebook group will be complete...and no! the information exchanged in that group would not be a waste of time. Go Nun Energicum!

Jeremiah said...

to Chad - Ha! i can see the look on your face when you got to said topic, priceless.
to Kelly - double ha! bear hugs and Jesus, love it. Jim and Pam being real...i agree with you. I think that Jim will be calling me any minute now, to tell me how the date went last night. Maybe he is sleeping in.

jason said...

I thought you were going to drop a huge bombshell at the end. Something like, how you get your hair to be so awesome.

Facebook is like fruit snacks. Are all together healthy for you? Probably not, but they are loaded with vitamin c, so there is something benificent about them. So, you can eat them, but you're not going to want to replace fruits in your diet with fruit snacks. Facebook will let you hook up with high quality people that you don't get to talk to on a daily basis- and keep the zero quality ones away.

You should join Facebook, and when you do, I will give you a big bear hug and say "We did it Jeremiah!" right before I cook you a delicious meal.

Paige The Rage said...

Facebook has been in NO way as distracting as myspace. Because you can only see your friend's profiles I quickly get bored and only spend about 5 minutes on there. Just don't get lost looking at random groups and you'll be fine =)
Thanks for seeking my guidance. I feel appreciated ;) ;)

Paige the Rage

ezra said...

My reccomendation is to use facebook as a contact page for friends to find you at most (if you are a member of another), but otherwise choose which social network to capitalize in monogamously, it's so much less tempting, especially if you like to update profiles and stylesheets. I did that with myspace (I spend much less time there now), and now spend more time in discussion groups with friends, and read friends blogs through rss feeds.

dan said...

get facebook...it's safe, it's user friendly, it helps friends find useful information about you (i.e. birthdays, contact information, and pictures)

by the way congrats on being finished!

r o b said...

hey j,
wait, are you DONE done? or just done with the semester? anywho, great job being done - at whatever level that applies. and facebook is la-a-a-ame. but that's just my humble opinion.
rob