the questions, observations, laments, psalms, classic anecdotes, prayers, & stories of jeremiah aja. enjoy it like a sweaty plastic cup filled with strawberry lemonade & crushed ice.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Papa's gotta brand new bag



(Enter guitar riff here)
- RIP James Brown -
[Mr. Nathan Jennings, these lines go out to you for the email rebuke about my blog neglect.]

Literally, I got a brand new bag, look out. And no, don’t read too much into it, I will not be a Papa soon, don’t spread rumors. Besides, you think I would really title a “We’re pregnant!” post with a title of a song by the Godfather of Soul? Waddya take me for?
On with the topic at hand…look out world, Jeremiah is getting organized, downright to the psychotic level. The picture above is what is the beginning of my tailor made, quirky, weird, and hopefully efficient – Organizational System. Most specifically, info retrieval system. Pretty intense huh?
Here’s how it all goes down in a nutshell. Between classes, sermons, journaling, books, epiphanies in those great convos, I want to be able to recall those great insights, quotes, and brainstorms. So what I had to do was not only record them (using my phone, journal, class notebooks, book margins, etc), but somehow be able to come back to them for reflection or use in other contexts. So, my organizational journey continues, I’ll let you know how it goes. I am grateful I have found a a little system that makes it easier to look back and remind my forgetful soul. In the meantime, these words have been echoing in my ears and heart…or for better Christian-ese: “my heart’s ears”.

“Injustice is the exposer of idolatry.” – JD Walt

As I was struggling with balance I came to my friend Billy and explained to him that I couldnt keep all of life's tasks in order - God, marriage, school, friendships, family, etc. Out of his mouth, came beautiful wisdom from a friend, the kind that is sometimes hard to hear, "Life is not paint by numbers. Time overlaps, relationships overlap, aspects of life overlap. You cant take an aspect of your life, make sure it is all neat and filled inside the lines and call it complete. You can't live life just by making sure every area is filled in. A blending of colors is what makes a beautiful masterpiece. "

While speaking of her latest struggles Kristin, a friend of mine, told me something she had been learning through it all. I will never forget her words, “You gotta walk even when you don’t know where you are going.”

I just had the privilege of finishing N.T. Wright’s The Challenge of Jesus. It was pretty stretching to say the least. By that I mean there were definite raised eyebrow moments to try and work through. God definitely does something to you when your way of looking at him is a bit tweaked and challenged. Here are some of Wright’s great lines that are still sticking with me…
“Learn to be symbol-makers and story-tellers for the Kingdom of God. Learn to model true humanness in your worship, your stewardship, your relationships.”
“Your task is to find the symbolic ways of doing thins differently, planting flags in hostile soil, setting up signposts that say there is a different way to be human. And when people are puzzled at what you are doing, find ways – fresh ways – of telling the Story of the return of the human race from its exile, and use those stories as your explanation.”

Since I have read that paragraph I have been all out BENT on those three words – Tell the Story. That is what it is all about. What does it mean for Lindsay and I to tell the Story with our lives? What does it mean for you to tell the Story with your life? As we tell that Glorious Story, know that we are absolutely central in it and through it. We are the reason it was written.
From Wilmore, with Love.

2 comments:

JohnDeere said...

this is interesting jeremiah-- or if i may call you-- aja.

you talk about idolatry--injustice--time--art--life as prophetic symbol--and the Story in the same posting.

they are all quite interconnected you know. . . .

Chris said...

I noticed that you keep repeating this phrase. I like it too :) peace bro