the questions, observations, laments, psalms, classic anecdotes, prayers, & stories of jeremiah aja. enjoy it like a sweaty plastic cup filled with strawberry lemonade & crushed ice.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

I really love to laugh

My weekday afternoons are spent on the third floor of the library with about 4-6 others persevering through OT Hebrew. Something you also have to know is some background on a friend of mine named Steven. I have no doubts in my mind that if ANY of you met him, you would place him on your Top 5 nicest people you had ever met. He’s awesome. He’s from Birmingham, AL, or as he would say “Buhmenham, ALuhBEMMUH”. Steven is “good peoples”, no question.
This afternoon, as usual, we were in our study group. Another thing to mention, the whole group is great, definitely a blessing through the super intense time. Read another perspective on it by my friend Josh (also in the group). Another “by the way” – I don’t know who would win a nice-off between Josh and Steven. It would end in a dead draw I think. BUT THEN one would argue with the other how the other deserves to win…vicious cycle of niceness, lemme tell ya.
Back to the story-

So there we are, pluggin along in Hebrew. On a daily basis there are usually a few take home quizzes, worksheets, and exercises from the text. We were all going around the tables saying what all we had left to do before dinner and it came to Steven, yes, THE Steven. He and his girlfriend Kelly were a bit ahead on the workload. They had both major tasks done before half of us (okay, it was me) had completed just one of them. I looked at them in shock, “You guys are DONE ALREADY?” Steven, oh yes, El Esteban, gives me a look that says, “Yeah, what’s up now punk?” – all tough and cocky like, ya know? And then he says to me, and hold on, you have to picture this! He refers to himself at times as a “good ol’ boy from ALuhBEMMUH” Totally awesome, nice, southern boy…got it in your head?
Ok, now the best part. He looks at Kelly and then looks back at me all tough-like and says with his deep southern drawl, “Yeah man, we don’t play around. We quit Kindergarten cause they had recess.”
I lost it.

2 comments:

E said...

Dude, that is awesome, I can just picture it!

JohnDeere said...

westside--

you been holding out on me.

but now you're found.

farmstrong